This grand building dates back to 1892, built as one house it was lovingly separated into a number of sought after individual apartments in 1972 by a firm of local builders. It is now eight flats whom individually have a share of the Freehold.
Clare Court is an imposing property within striking distance of the town centre, yet you soon realise how totally peaceful the setting is.
Upon arrival you can park in one of the allocated spaces and stroll across the pathway to the communal door. A hardwood door with entryphone system allows access into the Communal hallway. A personal door leads into the Entrance Hall. The open plan Living Area is well proportioned to allow both seating and dining areas with beautiful high ceilings and double glazed windows overlooking the communal gardens. There is a Double Bedroom with a built in wardrobes with similar views. The Kitchen was refitted by local firm Designs For Living, it includes a range of fitted units topped with granite effect worksurfaces, with spotlighting and a breakfast table for informal dining. There is a Bathroom with panel enclosed bath and electric shower with an airing cupboard housing a modern boiler.
Outside there are communal grounds, each property benefits from a large single garage in a block and there is a bin store area.
Clare Court/Wokingham History:
The story begins with a family named Nicholson. In the middle of the 19th century they bought the manufacturing rights for linoleum from an inventor and set up huge plants in the Sheffield area from where they shipped linoleum all around the world.
They felt very left out of things being in the north of England when Queen Victoria’s court was down in Berkshire and so they purchased an estate called Mathews Green House on the edge of Wokingham which Edward Nicholson extended and renamed Cantley House. He died in 1885 and passed the house onto his widow whilst his fortune of 40,000 victorian guineas went to his son Alfred and his daughter.
Alfred felt that Cantley was much too big for his mother to be rattling around in on her own so he decided to build her a smaller property on a piece of land nearby (Clare Court) which he named Glebelands but his mother decided she would not move out of Cantley House so Alfred agreed to move his own family from Twickenham to Wokingham to live at the new home, Glebelands (Clare Court).
At the time Alfred and his wife had 4 children but by 1896 this grew to six, with that many children and their nannies they soon outgrew Clare Court, so Alfred decided to build a much larger house in the grounds, taking the name Glebelands to the new residence, renaming his old property Clare Court.